Monday, May 21, 2012

Flipping the Switch

Habits

Never permit failure to become a habit. --William Frederick Book


Or even better:

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. --Vincent Lombardi

We run into struggles daily, whether we are in our running shoes or not.  How we address those struggles will determine our success. 
I left the Flying J Truckstop in Sayre OK and headed north on US 283 into town.  I had never been to "downtown" Sayre before, the dusty truckstop was all I knew of the small town.  I hoped to enjoy some exploring along with my six-mile run.
People were having garage sales, kids were riding their bikes, the Sonic restaurant was doing a booming business.  Not many people were out to exercise, the locals who run were probably out hours ago, long before the temperatures soared into the mid-80's.
When I reached the place where the I-40 business loop turned off, I glanced at my Garmin training watch.  Three miles in 29:58.  Right on track for my ten-minute-per-mile tempo run.  I drank some water out of the bottle I was carrying, crossed the street, and started back.  I felt good.
Then the conversation started.  The one in my head.
"Man, it is HOT.  Maybe I should walk a little in this shade.  Heat can be dangerous, after all."
I shrugged it off.  My legs did feel a little heavy, but I had a goal for this run, five miles in fifty minutes, and another easy mile.   Then I wouldn't be sweating too much to take a shower at the truckstop.
"I've already seen all the interesting stuff on the way out.  No motivation in looking around."
My legs felt heavier. The sun really did seem hotter.
"Just walk it on in, no one will know."
My breathing was a bit more labored as I started up a hill.  I began talking back.  
"Hey," I said, "This is an easy pace, and I'm only doing fifteen miles this week.  Another three is a piece of cake."
"How much further is it?" I glanced at my watch before I could stop myself.  I had only come another half-mile.
"It doesn't matter," I said as my legs seemed to lose more power, "I don't care if I want to finish this run, I am going to finish this run!"  I picked up the pace a little to show who was in charge.
"Sore legs last week, don't want to over-train."
"Grrrr," I said.  I imagined a switch in my head.  A switch that was labeled "Something you do not want to do". I flipped the switch to "yes".
"Six miles is six miles.  Running or walking."
Flip
"You would still meet your weekly goal of fifteen miles."
Flip
"Walk a little, then you will feel better for the rest of the run, and do a better job."
FLIP
The voice went away and my energy was back.  Well, I guess the voice did not go away, it just got quiet.  I could expect it to come back anytime.
As I finished the run, the thought occurred to me that many people do not really argue with the voice in their head that wants them to take it easy.  The voice pushes them into bad decisions in their relationships, their jobs, their finances.
Doing the easy thing would not work in trucking.  The bed is warm, but Cindy needs a trailer light repaired.  The cab is nice and dry, but the chain law is in effect.  I'm not in the mood to talk to people, but the load needs to be delivered and receivers are people. (Well, most of them are, anyways.)  I guess I flip that switch all the time.
People I know of that have not learned the habit of flipping the switch have experienced grave consequences.  Playing video games instead of working will hurt your income.  Messing around with someone that tantalizes you will hurt your marriage.  Being sarcastic and selfish with your time will end your friendships.  Spending frivolously and without a plan will consign you to poverty.  Focusing on taking that next drink instead of keeping a clear head during work could end your employment.
Flipping the switch might be harder, especially at first.  But keep flipping to "yes" and a habit will form.  
A good habit.

No comments: